Thursday, January 23, 2014

Introduction.


Hello everyone and welcome to my forensics blog. My name is Sean Kelly and I am a senior Computer and Digital Forensics student at Champlain College.  The initial purpose of this blog will be to document my progress on my senior Capstone project. Periodically over the next few months I will be updating blog and showing how my project changes and evolves. My project will use two well known forensic tools.

1cf50ca98b3238ae62bedc868070974f.png
source
F-response is a powerful incident response tool that that was made to be deployed and used in conjunction with nearly any existing forensic utilities. F-response sets itself apart by giving the analyst the ability to connect and gain read-only access to the physical disk of almost any computer via a network.  

X-Ways forensics is an analysis tool built off of the WinHex disk editor, this tool markets itself by being much less resource intensive and less costly than competing analysis products.X-Ways offers a robust set of features that rival the functionality of other Forensic software.


Both of these tools have recently added the ability automate many of  their functions through scripting and command line tools. This is where my Capstone comes in.  I want to expand on and integrate  functionality of these two products. My project goal is to write a  script with Windows PowerShell that will allow the user to connect to a large number computers through a network connection via f-response and and gather and verify disk images from those machines.

My first step, apart from researching the documentation on these products,  is to focus on f-response and work on scripting the programs remote connection process, once I have accomplished this, I will move on to implementing x-ways, then I will move on to to testing and creating a clean User Interface.
If you are interested, I hope that you follow this blog as I document my progress!              

No comments:

Post a Comment